[techtalk] Su slow?

Nicole Zimmerman colby at wsu.edu
Thu Feb 3 14:15:03 EST 2000

> I didn't, some trojan might've - where can I find the .profile?

Each user typically has a .profile (in the case of bash). These are
found with your other 'rc' type files (like .exrc, .pinerc, .kderc,
.netscape, etc) which define what you "like" as a user. In the case of
the .pinerc it's how you like things to appear (colors, features, etc)
and be sent (name, smtp server, etc). The .kderc is just a config file
with information in there on how to have things done when you start KDE.

With .profile (sometimes called .bash_profile), you can set environment
varialbes, aliases, and programs that run when you first log in.

These are all in your $HOME directory... for root this would be /root,
for a user it would usually be /home/$USER.

-nicole