[techtalk] !@#$#$YT emachines and XF86

alissa bader mol666 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 18 21:55:29 EST 2000

okay, I have in front of me an emachines box.  I
decided to put Slackware 7.1 on it.  Installation
itself seemed to go well.  But I am running into
problems when trying to configure xwindows.  I'm using
the XF86Setup utility and I swear to god, I can't get
the mouse to work.  I have tried all of the different
mouse protocols, as many device names as I could and
still the mouse is not recognized.

Now I also have an internal modem in that machine (a
pcmia win modem, which means more fun for me later, i
hear) and i wonder if it's possible that there's a
conflict with the COM ports there.

anyone run into a similar problem like this?  I swear
to god, I have configured XF86 on many many *nix
platforms before and never have I come across
something like this.

thanks in advance for all your help!

--alissa