[techtalk] *nix comparisons?

sara ruohotie ceres at intter.net
Tue Aug 15 11:22:47 EST 2000

> > comfortable in either environment, but Linux *is* a bit more user friendly
> > and easier to teach, and I think, as a result, it has a better future.
> offered for FreeBSD. Personally, I don't feel that Linux will have a
> 'better' future, however, I do think that both Linux and FreeBSD will be
> prosperous following their own seperate paths. Each has good things about

of course the next thing we could debate is that what IS a 'good future'.
i mean that i think freebsd has a *very* good future in server use and
with people, who want to do things the slightely harder way. i don't mean
that linux-people don't want to do it 'the harder way' but i mean that as
linux is becoming more and more userfriendly, it's becoming also more
mainstream and if the progression continues far enough someday linux'll be
like windows, everybody knows how to use it and so on. and in my opinion
anyway, linux is a nice os to use, but it's not really a server os.

and maybe it's me being stupid and wanting to be special, but knowing how
to use *bsd is 'more hc', than knowing how to use linux. thus in some
places linux-knowlegde isn't as appreciated anymore. well uh, maybe it's
just me.

sara