[techtalk] *nix comparisons?

Robert Wade feline at brokersys.com
Mon Aug 14 13:06:25 EST 2000

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000, Caitlyn M. Martin wrote:
>=20
> Sometimes I agree with this, but sometimes I don't.  I started with Free=
=20
> BSD, but moved to Linux simply because more apps seemed to be available a=
t=20
> the time and more people were migrating to Linux than to BSD.  I'm=20
> comfortable in either environment, but Linux *is* a bit more user friendl=
y=20
> and easier to teach, and I think, as a result, it has a better future.

I should point out that most all apps that run in Linux will very likely
run in FreeBSD with no modification. I think you're referring to the
amount of binaries that were available for Linux compared with the number
offered for FreeBSD. Personally, I don't feel that Linux will have a
'better' future, however, I do think that both Linux and FreeBSD will be
prosperous following their own seperate paths. Each has good things about
them that don't exist in the other such as Linux's small learning curve
for users migrating from windows and a large library of print references
(and any  general documentation, for that matter, freebsd's documentation
seems to have something lacking). And then there's FreeBSD's loverly
software management system (the only thing rivaling the ports system in
Linux, I've heard, is Debian's app-get (or something along that lines,
I've never really seen it first hand so I wouldn't know what it's
like). There's also FreeBSD's terriffic updating ability with cvsup and
the make world components that helps keep my system current.

> > I am *so* happy to find this list as it gives me someplace to ask
> > questions where he doesn't think I'm doing an end-run around him. (Is t=
his
> > a guy thing?  I mean, if I ask someone else for advice on crocking an
> > arm-roast, it's no big deal, but if he discovers I've asked someone els=
> > about something remotely technical, he's all bothered because he sees i=
> > as an indication that I think he's incompetent.  Feh!)
>=20
> That almost sounds like "Since she's asking the girls, it's OK", as in we=
=20
> can't possible be as competent as he is.  Am I reading in sexism where it=
=20
> doesn't exist?  There definitely seems to be a touch of insecurity there,=
=20
> anyway.
>=20
> Oh, and I couldn't tell you how to prepare a roast (I'm vegetarian), but =
I=20