[techtalk] Problem setting up dual-homed IBM NetFinity 1000

C. M. Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Wed Aug 9 15:00:57 EST 2000

Hi, everyone,

I've run into another problem, and before I call Caldera, I thought I'd try the
most helpful list I know of.

I have an IBM NetFinity 1000 running Caldera OpenLinux 2.4.  The system needs
to be dual-homed, and the system seems to recognize both ethernet cards.  One
is on eth0, IRQ11, and is working properly.  Network connectivity is just fine.
The other is eth1, IRQ10, different I/O memory range from the first card.  The
box can ping itself at that address, but can't see any other box on that
network, and nothing on that net can see this box.

I went into the network settings with COAS and found that the default gateway
wasn't set on eth1.  I tried setting it, but the system would not save the new
settings.  Sometimes it gives me a python error saying it cannot communicate
with the network, sometimes not.  It reads:

Error when executing command ip-config change eth1
the command produced the following output:
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable
eth1: initialization failed

 Everything in ifconfig looks normal.  Both cards show up and the addresses
are correct.  I  tried to take eth1 down that way, then reset the address.  No
difference.  If I type in ifconfig eth1 up I do not get an error at all.  There
is no provision for adding a second interface in lisa, and adding it manually
to the /etc/hosts file didn't change anything.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Caity