[techtalk] problems upgrading to gnome 1.2 and enlightenment 0.16.4

colin parr colin_parr at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 7 05:50:19 EST 2000

Well, you know what they say: If you think something's foolproof you've got
to remember not to underestimate the ingenuity of the common fool...

I have installed rpms from the command line before but not very often so I
wasn't familiar with the options you can use which you don't in gnorpm etc..
In particular being able to query 'imlib' to get the version back rather
than in gnorpm finding imlib-0.98 rpm or whatever, querying that and getting
'0.98' which doesn't tell anything you didn't know already (least I'm
assuming you can't do this - I didn't see an option anywhere).

Anyways it's all working now, need to get my eterm and EFM installed so I
can stop using the gnome tools (not a flamewar comment btw, I just want to
get everything looking the same).

Interestingly everything seems to be running a lot quicker although I can't
say how much of this is the new version of enlightenment or the fact that
I've upgraded to Xfree86 4.0 and have stopped running gnome at the same time
as enlightenment - bit of a duplication of effort.

Thanks again,
Colin.