[techtalk] Problems booting from RAID

Jane Dawson TheJanie at canada.com
Mon Aug 7 11:13:06 EST 2000

Hi,

I decided to set up a completely RAID-based system using two identical IDE
hard disks, each with 3 partitions (boot, swap and data).

The setup is

hda1 and hdc1 = 800Mb boot
hda2 and hdc2 = 128Mb swap
hda3 and hdc3 = 3Gb data

I'm using kernel 2.4.0-test5 with Ingo's 'dangerous' raidtools and have
successfully managed to get the data partitions running in RAID-1 as
/dev/md2.

Great :)

But I am having appalling problems in getting the machine to boot from
RAID! I've been through the Software-RAID-HOWTO so many times I can almost
recite it, but still things aren't going as they should.

Does anyone have any pointers as to where I'm going wrong? At the moment,
all six paritions are set in 'cfdisk' to type 'fd'. What should I put in
lilo.conf, etc. ?

Any help / common problems would be most appreciated because this thing is
driving me crazy!

Kind regards,

Jane