[techtalk] [Fwd: BOUNCE techtalk@linuxchix.org: Admin request of type /\buns\w*b/i at line 4]

Lighthouse Keeper in the Desert Sun ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Thu Sep 30 08:50:41 EST 1999

> > I have been told that cable modems, via MediaOne-RoadRunner will be
> > available in October. I have also been told that you can't share the
> > cable modem currently; it required one hardware address, so plugging
> > it into my hub is out.

That isn't necessarily true.  If your RoadRunner is anything like the
RoadRunner I had when I lived in Albany, you can use up to 3 computers
through your cable modem.  You have to configure DHCP and eth0 and all
sorts of ethernet goodness.  (I didn't set my own up, so I can't help any
more than that.)  They require seeing win98 to install their software.
Keep that in mind.

> > So, I'm planning on using Linux as a server for my connection to the
> > cable modem, and serving out internal IP to the other computers, to
> > share the connection.

In my experience that isn't necessary.  Road Runner automatically assigned
an IP to my fiance's mac and to my linux box through their (annoying as
hell) DHCP.  And part of the TOS is no servers allowed.  (Which is
annoying, imo.  I'm going to bug the heck out of the RR people here when
they bring it so I can get a static IP.)  Also remember that they only
allow *3* computers per modem.  Otherwise you are subject to fines or
discontinuation of service.  (They periodically check to see how many
lines are being used per known modem, or something.)

Anyway.  Hope this helped at all.
Conni

Let's drink to the dead lying under the water, and the crust of the blood
on the driven snow.
			-Sisters of Mercy

http://www.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Gulf/5817/