[techtalk] Software question

Danyeke Swanson danyeke at bogon.net
Thu Sep 30 00:22:48 EST 1999

At 08:45 PM 9/29/99 , Beverly Guillermo wrote:
>> Can anyone recommend software that will analyze my Apache Web server logs
>> and present the information in an organized form?
>
>I guess writing your own program to do the analyzing is out of the question
>if you want the graphics. ;)

It's out of the question for me at *this* point at least, not because of
graphics, but mainly because I'm still at a beginning level with
programming.  I haven't done much programming since I learned BASIC in
1984.  :)  I'm a Web designer (still struggling with JavaScript and DHTML)
who's just starting to learn Web server administration.  I hope to learn
Perl this fall, but it's on my very long list of things I want to learn
"when I get the chance"...heh.

I'm basically a "do-it-yourself" geek at heart (which is part of why I
became interested in Linux), but the more I learn, the more I realize how
much there is I'd LIKE to learn that I don't yet have time for.  That can
get frustrating at times!

>Did you check out http://www.freshmeat.net
>for programs that may help you out?

I looked at Linuxberg first, and didn't see anything promising, then
remembered (*after* I posted, of course) that I could check freshmeat.
Thanks, though.

Thanks to all who've posted and e-mailed suggestions--much appreciated.  I
think I'm going to try out Analog
(http://www.statslab.cam.ac.uk/~sret1/analog/), which looks like it will be
ideal for my purposes (and it's free, too--can't beat that when you're on a
limited budget!)

Danyeke "D.J." Swanson         http://www.bogon.net/~danyeke
"Artificial stupidity (AS) may be defined as the attempt by computer
scientists to create computer programs capable of causing
problems of a type normally associated with human thought."
				--Wallace Marshal