[techtalk] Software question

Beverly Guillermo bguill at toad.net
Wed Sep 29 23:45:24 EST 1999

> Greetings all,
>
> Can anyone recommend software that will analyze my Apache Web server logs
> and present the information in an organized form?  I want it to be
> presented in a simple, easy-to-understand way, so I can make it available
> to people on any platform who know virtually nothing about server-side
> stuff, and they will be able to see clearly how many hits my
> organization's
> site is getting per day/week and what domains/IP addresses they are coming
> from.  Graphs would be especially nice, too.

I guess writing your own program to do the analyzing is out of the question
if you want the graphics. ;)  Did you check out http://www.freshmeat.net
for programs that may help you out?

> I know about WebTrends' log analyzer (http://www.webtrends.com), but it's
> expensive (approx. $400 last time I checked) and geared toward the
> professional market, whereas I am looking for something relatively
> inexpensive and for home use.  I run a small non-profit organization from
> home and we aren't running on a big budget, so price is a big factor.

Well, it looks like it's got all the types of logs to analyze and then
some.  I've never encountered the software because I've used scripts to
analyze the data wihtout needing the graphs.

Beverly