[techtalk] linux dual-boot install

Caitlyn M. Martin caitlyn at netferrets.net
Sun Oct 31 14:50:29 EST 1999

> You won't need as much distro specific help with Debian as with
> RedHat.  Debian left more bits and pieces intact, whereas RedHat
> applied lots of patches to critical systems, like the kernel, ppp...

OTOH, if you're coming from a Windows, Mac, OS/2, or other graphical background,
Red Hat comes with lots of very good graphical tools for configuring your system
and/or a network.  I have UNIX systems administration experience, so I *can* do
things the old fashioned command line and file editing way, but to me, the
graphical way is much easier.  I'm a visual person, and it has a lot to do with how
I process information, I suppose.

For most newbies, I would heartily recommend Red Hat or Mandrake (which is based on
Red Hat) over Debian or Slackware.  I'm about to play with TurboLinux for the first
time, so I'll have yet another opinion soon  :)

Take care,
Caity