[techtalk] Flatscreen monitors

Amanda Owens amowens at radonc.duke.edu
Tue Oct 26 07:52:06 EST 1999

On Mon, 25 Oct 1999, Dakota Surmonde wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Oct 1999 jenn at simegen.com wrote:
>
> > So, since I spend hours/day at the computer.. we're looking into
> > getting me a flatscreen monitor. In case that's it.
>
> When I was pregnant, mindy (son's amom) got a screenish thingie that went
> over the monitor and supposedly cut out all the nasty stuff (mind you, I
> have not a clue on this, I'm just relating what she said to me :) )...have
> you tried one of those (it's not nearly as nifty as a flatscreen, but I
> imagine it's somewhat cheaper :) )
>
> Vinnie
> --

Unfortunately, almost as much EMR comes from the sides and back of the
monitor as the front. So while putting some sort of barrier on the screen
can be somewhat helpful, it's still not going to cut as much out as if
you just tossed the tube idea altogether and went with an LCD.

Actually, I used to work in computer retail, and I don't recall ever
seeing a screen filter that filtered out EMR. Ultraviolet and stuff, yes,
but not EMR. You'd have to use some sort of screen mesh - if not a solid
block - of metal to get enough for it to be really useful.

Mur!