[techtalk] Would like advice on building system

Amanda Owens amowens at radonc.duke.edu
Wed Oct 20 10:29:29 EST 1999

I've been very happy with two motherboards I've purchased recently. At
home we run 2 AMD K6-2 350s on FIC 503+ motherboards. This motherboard is
*very* nice for AMD chips, and it's Y2K compliant. I'm also running the
same chip on a Tyan board at work - I can't remember the exact model. But
both motherboards ran around $79-$89 when we purchased them (all within
the last 6-8 months).

A good place to look for part-built systems is www.lynncomputer.com (or a
variation thereof). There are a couple of other places you can build
barebones systems - if you have parts at home you can reuse, this is the
least expensive way to go, and you can get a good system for around $800.

Mur!

Amanda Owens
Duke University Medical Center
Department of Radiation Oncology