[prog] VSS to CVS -- looking for experiences and argumentation help

Meredydd meredydd at everybuddy.com
Sat Apr 24 09:03:29 EST 2004

On Friday 23 April 2004 14:30, Rasjid Wilcox wrote:
> Just to finish up, I will say that I have been keeping an eye on
> Subversion
Ooh, jumping-in time!

In my personal experience, and that of quite a few others as well,
Subversion is really, really, really, REALLY good. Atomic commits
across the entire repository, ability to move files without screwing
with the server, whole-repository versioning, attribute storage (and
versioning!), branching and merging is a whole ton simpler (a branch?
What's special about a branch? It's just another directory...), and you
don't get anything like the number of annoying niggles that you get
with CVS (can *you* remember which characters you should never include
in a filename, cause it screws up the CVS internals - and, for that
matter, how to fix it if you do?).

All in all, I'd seriously recommend it as an alternative VCS.

Meredydd