[prog] C++ Inheritance - just some musings

Sue Stones suzo at bigpond.net.au
Sat May 24 19:40:25 EST 2003

On Sat, 24 May 2003 19:22, Jimen Ching wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2003, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> >Linking of C++ code is somewhat of a cryptic art and perhaps in the
> >chain of inheritance a call to fstream(int, char *, int) was called?
>
> What most likely happened is that fstream(const char *, int, int) is an
> inline that calls the above mentioned constructor.  In the C++ world, the
> optimization step can change your code in ways you don't expect.  It is
> both a powerful and a dangerous feature.  It's black magic until one
> understands how it all works.  ;)
>
> --jc

Well I have noticed that with most programming that error messages are very
obsure to the beginner.  Once you learn what to look for they start to mean
something usefull.   ie Manageing to change the code to get different error
messages is progress even if there are more of them!

But in this case I was looking in entierly the wrong place.

I have found of late that it seems to be harder to get my brain around new
concepts, and remeber all these new things.   I am hopeing that it is just
over work, and that if I ever mange to slow down things will fall into place
much more quickly again.  (Alternatively it couldbeold age - what alrealy!)

Even though I am visual I find it much easier to learn if someone explains it
to me than just reading a book.  A lecture with some one drawing pictures of
what they are talking about on the boad is fun to me!

sue