[IndiChix] [RFC] Introduction to Linuxchix India - presentation slides

Vid Ayer svaksha at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 08:59:18 UTC 2008

On Feb 7, 2008 3:20 AM, Hassath <hassath at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2008 8:23 PM, Runa Bhattacharjee <runa.misc at gmail.com> wrote:
> > http://runa.randomink.org/misc/linuxchix-india-introduction.pdf

Nice one !

* Assuming that the speaker will be talking of most upstream projects
would it be better to have a slide listing them or at least URL's for
those curious folks.

* Encourage each woman to spread the word out among her friends in
college/school/where ever.. and encourage others like her to form
their local groups (call it town or city meets/chapters/...) and
network better.

> clearer. I suggest: "Write documentation for projects" and "Help with
> administration e.g. list management".
> Also, "Write content" in itself sounds rather vague.

Is it Content as in web-page/site content or technical documentation ?

> > The above page can be used as a placeholder for resources that speakers can
> > (re)use for talks at

ja, reuse is the keyword.

> Also, people could share their experiences after giving such a talk-
> their observations on what worked well, the kind of questions which
> were difficult to answer, and if there are some commonly asked
> questions. This would help more of us to learn from the experiences of
> some, and more people might feel prepared to give a talk in the
> future.

That should be interesting...  Positives are always welcome but the
negative will also help us learn something new, and
feedback/discussions will help us understand how to tackle
situations/things we may not have experienced as yet.

In future it would be very interesting to see today's newcomers in
LCIN going and talking, spreading the word, sharing their work or
impressions about "what we are to them" and widening the circle.  That
is some way into the future , but an interesting thing to look forward
to.

> On Feb 6, 2008 10:53 PM, Atul Chitnis <mail at atulchitnis.net> wrote:
>
> > However, I'd strongly suggest some more structure to the talk -
> > "Discussion" is the trap that many sessions like these fall into, and then
> > nothing comes out of it.
>
> I don't think the problem lies with discussion per se. It has a lot to
> do with the skill of the speaker, the specific situation, and the
> style of the individual speaker. Some people can do very well with a
> loosely structured talk.

Yup, communication styles vary from person to person and an
experienced speaker (or should i say an intiutive speaker) will always
be able to gauge the audience, strike a rapport with them, and fine
tune his/her talk on the go...

> > Every talk MUST have a clear agenda -
> >
> > - This is what I am going to talk to you about
> > - This is what you will learn

In this case its not a technical dissertation so ....... Ankita
(exception for fosskriti), Runa, Barkha : have FUN talking to people
!!

>  > As usual, it is important to ensure that the concept of contribution not
> > being just code is understood, but remember that every journey starts with
> > the first step - in this case usage.
>
> True. And we need to let people know, more often, and more clearly,
> where to look for help. When they want to know something about
> usage/installation, or face a problem with something, they should know
> that they can ask very basic questions on this list without being
> flamed or told to Google or RTFM (which is the most common response
> they will get on many fora, including LUGs).

Amen that :-)

On a side, does anyone want to talk on the "chix" terminology aspect.
IIRC, its about taking  a degarogatory term and giving it a spin,
psychological empowering if you must, ala respectability vis-a-vis
technology.

--
Vid
|| http://www.svaksha.com ||