LinuxChix-India -- was-- Re: [Indianlc] hello people!

|| स्वक्ष || svaksha svaksha at TAcCWyAqiaj7RUUPItasV928IZiV1cnumKIf8pXRe3-DTRTJNTMYSQeMZ2Cob997kA6H_eJ9BzRu.yahoo.invalid
Thu Dec 15 10:51:43 UTC 2005

Hi Fred and everyone else :-)

On 12/15/05, Frederick Noronha <fred at bytesforall.org> wrote:
> Hi All, I'm a guy, not a chix ;-)

Hmm that was evident but thanks for being clear. i am Vidya aka
"svaksha" online.

> But you have my full support  in taking this idea forward. I'd like to help in any way, including putting you in touch with women members who I am in touch with in the user-groups (they are, alas, only a few).

Thanks, there are many of us who lurk (i did too) and I hope this
platform will grow to bring into it people from all backgrounds,
irrespective of their gender, qualification, or other barriers society
usually creates.  It will be nice to see this *team* (not group) of
people grow to a large community.

> We can look forward to more involvement and participation from journalists like Jhinuk (ex-LFY, now Times of India, Bangalore).

Well without digressing from the issue at hand or getting into a flame
war, I would certainly like to see the TOI allocate more space for
articles/write-ups for Linux ... So if we have  journalists here
..that is half the battle won :-)

Exactly, women are always accused of complaining and not doing
anything.  Well for starters, we now have something at hand and it
will be nice to have other ideas flowing in.
 It is well known that few women vocalize themselves publicly (for
whatever reasons) although many women are in IT in India and use
Linux.  Ideally, I would like to include people who are sitting on the
fence, thinking if Linux is for them, or which distro to use and where
to ask? We can create a space where women (& others too) can ask
so-called silly questions, request for volunteers to help them out
with their problems, and so on....

> I recently met Sulamita in Bangalore; it's always nice to meet up with Brazilians, who usually have both a good sense of humour and a positive attitude towards life ;-) Sulamita's talk at the Bangalore palace was good too. FN

Yeah she is refreshingly pink ;-)

ciao,