[Courses] [Spineful Living, lesson 3: 101 Satisfying Retorts For All Occassion]

Jacinta Richardson jarich at perltraining.com.au
Mon Apr 16 00:39:31 UTC 2007

Carla Schroder wrote:
> I'm bailing out of town for the weekend and don't have time to write an
> ordinary lesson, so how about everyone share their favorite comebacks and
> occasions? Have fun and I'll see you Monday!

My favourites:

	"Grow up!"            (single person)
	"Now, now, children"  (group)
	"I don't need your permission/approval to..."

They're so versatile, and most of the time the people I'm speaking to end up
feeling foolish rather than hurt or angry.  I usually have to add something to
the end of course, but that's situation dependant:

	"I don't need your permission to excel".
	"Grow up.  You've had years to learn the world doesn't revolve around
	 you"
	"Now, now children; try to act like the adults you might one day be"

Sometimes these backfire and the situation gets worse.  But usually I've made my
point by then, so I'm happy to walk away.

Most of the time, I don't actually say anything.  I try to focus my actions on
goal-oriented behaviour.  This means thinking - at least briefly - about how any
interaction I might partake in will further my goals.  No matter how much the
other person's behaviour might suck, if it's more useful for me to stay on good
terms with them than to indulge my urges and give them a verbal boot up the
arse, then I'll grit my teeth and walk away.  (To an extent of course, as there
are often things you can still safely say..)

On the other hand, if they're relative strangers, or people I don't need to be
on good terms with, then I'm more than happy to tell them what I think of their
behaviour.

All the best,

	Jacinta