[Courses] [Tools] Prerequisites for installing bzr

Conor Daly conor.daly-linuxchix at cod.homelinux.org
Fri Oct 14 21:56:15 EST 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 02:55:13PM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Darlene Wallach thought:
> Conor Daly wrote:
> >
> > for info:  Python 2.4.1 and python-elementtree are both in fedora core 4.
> >Core 3 only has python 2.3.x
>
> I have Fedora Core 3 installed. Should I or is there a way to
> force yum to install Python 2.4.1 and python-elementtree on
> my fedora core 3 system? Is it better to manually download
> Python 2.4.1 rpm and python-elementtree rpm from websites?
> If I download the binary rpms manually do I use an rpmbuild
> command to install them so that rpm knows they are there?

You could try downloading the rpms from python.org rather than those from
FC4.  The FC4 rpms will have been built against an FC4 system and so, will
probably have unfulfilled dependencies on your FC3 system.  OTOH, if there
are FC3 specific rpms of 2.4.x at python.org, they should just work.  The
other option is to download the src rpm for FC4 and attempt to build it
on FC3 using 'rpmbuild --rebuild python-2.4....src.rpm'.  You'll need to
be root to do this unless you have set up a user-area rpmbuild
environment (http://cod.homelinux.org/C/download/rpmbuild/).

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)