[Courses] please reply with what kind of courses are you interested in

Steven Walker swalk at ya.com
Fri Oct 7 22:45:56 EST 2005

>Thank you for your responses. Here is my conclusion:
>
>iptables - on site
>perl - on site
>networking - on site
>security/hardening - on site
>kernel programming - on site
>
>on site = http://www.linuxchix.org/content/courses/
>
>troubleshooting/tune up - too specific, I can't create a number of lessons
>based on common errors as there already is an article on the topic
>ids - there are many articles on snort presentation and deployment (or other
>ids)
>vim/emacs - same as above + the command vimtutor teaches you most of the
>basics for vim, emacs has tutorials as well
>
>shell programming - same as above, I could try a more specific approach
>(filterring processes, changing similar content in multiple files, good logs
>filtering tricks)
>best practices security - interesting, I have some very good ideeas on the
>topic
>mail setup (mta + mda + imap/pop + anti spam + mua) - interesting but there
>is a lot of information on google (try searching "postfix mysql" on google)
>or even try "mail toaster"; for more advanced deployment
>http://workaround.org/articles/ispmail-sarge/
>
>Any comments on the above?

Of course what you offer is entirely up to you but I think that you have
overlooked the advantage to the members of a group on a joint endeavor.
An excellent example of this was the Gimp course. It was unfortunate
that there was little response to the Perl course. I have no idea if it
was because there were no students or because they found it so easy
there were no questions to ask. Either way it must have been
disheartening for the tutor and less interesting for the students.

There are any number of tutorials, manuals, howtos etc which are very
useful. They become ten times better with a discussion group led by an
expert. If there is demand I see no reason not to repeat courses if the
course leader is prepared to do so.  Certainly the fact that a topic is
well documented is no reason not to run a course.

Steve

PS Your suggestion on log filtering tricks is one that I really do like.