[Courses] [Careers] My mid-life career change to software

Sue Stones suzo at spin.net.au
Mon Feb 7 22:17:57 EST 2005

Julie B wrote:

> I haven't heard of a "no poaching" clause before, so I can't say if
> that's ever practiced around here. In fact, it may be against our
> labor laws, but that's just speculation. I know that in my software
> group, 3 of the 6 developers worked with my manager at least once
> before, one I think more than once.  In my previous company, that
> manager also hired on several people she had worked with before and
> the manager in the other department filled his entire team with people
> he had worked with numerous times before, so that group all knew each
> other very well.
>
> It's common from higher-up the ladder, too. I've seen the VPs of
> engineering hire managers they've had work for them before.

I take it that there is not much time between a new manager (or
whatever) and the time when he starts employing previous employees.  The
image I am getting is that once a managers leaves other start to leave
too, making way for the new manager to employ his own people.

Is this an accurate picture?

sue