[Courses] [Careers] My mid-life career change to software

Julie B joulie at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 04:50:29 EST 2005

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:17:57 +1100, Sue Stones <suzo at spin.net.au> wrote:

> I take it that there is not much time between a new manager (or
> whatever) and the time when he starts employing previous employees.  The
> image I am getting is that once a managers leaves other start to leave
> too, making way for the new manager to employ his own people.
>
> Is this an accurate picture?

That's been my experience. A new manager starts and immediately looks
to fill any vacancies with people she's worked with in the past. I'm
sure the case happens where people leave their position, take a few
weeks of vacation, then miraculously become employed by their previous
manager at a new company.

>From the manager's point of view, I definitely see the advantage of
this. These are people who've proven themselves to be reliable
competent employees, which is much safer than taking a risk on new
untested people. Also, if the manager's new to her position, then she
has to prove herself, so coming in with some good new hires definitely
would be a "feather in her cap". I've wondered if when new managers
are selected there's some discussion amongst their bosses as to
whether or not that manager candidate is a person who can bring in new
talent or not. I assume the answer is yes.

Julie