[Courses] [Careers] My mid-life career change to software

Akkana Peck akkana at shallowsky.com
Mon Feb 7 16:25:21 EST 2005

Mary writes:
> Does Silicon Valley commonly have a "no poaching" clause? I've seen
> several contracts in Australia where there's a clause saying you can't
> hire anyone else from the company until six months after you leave.

Yes, "no poaching" clauses are common, though not universal, in
Silicon Valley.  But they usually aren't as strict as that: I
believe the restriction is usually in approaching former co-workers
and offering them jobs.  If the former co-workers seek you out and
apply for a job at your new company, that's generally not prohibited
(and as Julie says, it happens all the time).

	...Akkana