[Courses] course request: intro to BIND

John Stoneham lyric.courses at lyrically.net
Wed Jun 9 10:30:42 EST 2004

> I would be willing to volunteer to teach a course on BIND, however it's
> normally not a topic which can be considered introductory, by any means. How
> many of you are interested in this topic, and what specific features would
> you like to see outlined aside from the generic BIND implementations?

Well, as the original poster, I'm certainly interested.

As I mentioned, my primary interest is in learning how to provide primary DNS
for a personal domain. Secondarily I'd like to be able to override the
standard zonefile.

Reason for that - my web server is behind a NAT firewall which does
port-forwarding to it. Thus its world-visible address is x.y.z.q but within
the firewall you have to use its 172.168.x.x address; I'd like to be able to
use 'www.domain.com' from outside or inside the firewall and get the correct
address (x.y.z.q if outside, 172.168.x.x if inside), without having to use
/etc/hosts or c:\winnt\system32\drivers\etc\hosts on every machine to
override the world-visible address it's getting from the standard DNS
(especially because I have laptops that move from within to outside the
firewall and back all the time).

- John