[Courses] text editors course vim emacs

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Sun Jun 6 16:22:23 EST 2004

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 03:38:37PM +0100 or thereabouts, Meredydd wrote:

> > vimtutor(1)
>
> meredydd at rhodium:~$ man vimtutor
> No manual entry for vimtutor
>
> I appreciate that you just want to share knowledge in as concise a form
> as possible, but do you suppose you could include a little explanation
> alongside those posts which consist solely of a manpage reference? I'm

For the record, it's a program you can run which teaches you the
basics of the editor.

When you type 'vimtutor', the screen redraws and welcomes you
to vimtutor. You're actually running vim then, reading the
contents of the file and typing the commands it tells you to.

Here's a piece of it:

                     Lesson 1.3: TEXT EDITING - DELETION

** While in Normal mode press   x  to delete the character under the cursor. **

  1. Move the cursor to the line below marked --->.

  2. To fix the errors, move the cursor until it is on top of the
     character to be deleted.

  3. Press the  x  key to delete the unwanted character.

  4. Repeat steps 2 through 4 until the sentence is correct.

---> The ccow jumpedd ovverr thhe mooon.

  5. Now that the line is correct, go on to Lesson 1.4.

It covers many of the basics. I do have a copy of the book it
mentions at the end (Vi IMproved, by Steve Oualline) and that
and vimtutor will get you started, although I found there were
a number of things I just had to ask other vim-users.

Fedora takes the vim source rpm and splits it into vim-X11,
vim-common, vim-enhanced and vim-minimal. On Fedora, vimtutor
is in the vim-enhanced package.

I don't know how the other distros split it all up.

Telsa