[Courses] [courses][python]Assignment 1

Anne Julienne anne at julienne.org
Sun Sep 22 10:30:32 EST 2002

Hi,

I live in Sydney, Australia. I'm in my mid-50s and first learnt some
programming on Algol and Fortran back in the late '60s. So I remember using
streams of paper tape with little holes punched in it and then packs of
cards. And waiting a day or two to find out how many errors I'd made in my
code. I wasn't very good at it, maybe because I wasn't very patient or
attentive to details.

About 5 years ago, I did a programming course at a technical college using
Qbasic. The teacher thought I was good at it and encouraged me to do more. I
went on to learn some Java in partnership with my then 10 year old son. He
recently took an interest in Python and I have been studying it too through
various online resources.

This is a new resource. I like the idea of feedback through the list and
having a sense of community in learning.

The required quote would have to be from Guido van Rossum:
Apart from being a computer scientist, I'm also a fan of "Monty Python's
Flying Circus" ...

Hmmm ... I quite like snakes myself, not so much in the flesh as in a
symbolic form representing rebirth and renewal through shedding of old skin.

Anne