[Courses] [Security] Inside Attacks

Jenn Vesperman jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au
Wed Mar 27 21:15:32 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-03-27 at 09:38, Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:

> 	<opinion-filled rant>  I completely fail to see the point of
> this.  After all, the person who found the hole didn't have to notify
> the company.  Most of them won't.  If someone wrote me with a "hey, look
> at this" about my company, I'd be really grateful that I was made aware
> of the problem (and then, really paranoid about how long it had been
> there without me knowing).  You bet I'd be using Tripwire or something
> to check the integrity of my data.  But I think killing the messenger is
> self-defeating -- who's going to tell you about your problems then?  No
> matter how good one sysadmin is, you can't find every hole or notice
> every problem.  I think that a responsible method of disclosure should
> be encouraged and rewarded, not punished. </opinion-filled rant>

Some people have a 'thing' about being proved to be wrong, or a 'thing'
about making mistakes. They just can't accept it, and tend to blame the
person bringing the mistake to their attention - or anyone else they can
find.

Personally, I think that trait alone can make a person incompetent to do
anything where they must be trusted to do things right. I'd rather have
things done by someone who can say 'Oh? Did I get that wrong? Fine, I'll
fix it. Thanks for telling me.'

<sarcasm>
But what do I know? I don't have a Masters of Business, I can't know
anything.
</sarcasm>

(there are people who seem to think that way. Grah.)

Jenn V.

jenn at anthill.echidna.id.au     http://anthill.echidna.id.au/~jenn/