[Courses] [Security] Inside Attacks

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Wed Mar 27 00:18:38 EST 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 05:38:51PM -0500 or thereabouts, Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:
> 	Anyone had any experience with any of the encrypted filesystems?
> That's another thing I keep meaning to eventually play with on a dev
> box, and just haven't found the time for yet.

Thanks for the reminder. I downloaded the patches I still call
'kerneli.org' patches even though they appear to have moved to
the US-hosted sourceforge (why??) and built myself a kernel
for my laptop (small, nickable, and I don't want my friends'
contact details in the hands of some person I don't know)...

...and then didn't install it. I shall try to find time to do
so and report back :)

http://www.kerneli.org has the blurb: note that there are now
two files rather than one to collect. I sent a quick suggestion
to the webmaster, but it hasn't happened: for those who need it
it consists of adding a step five to the four-step process which is:

  The bits and pices I got from sourceforge included a patch called
  loop-hvr-2.4.18.1.patch as well as the patch-int patch. In the end,
  I guessed, and applied it as a sort of step 5:

  Patch the original Linux source again code by using the commands
  'cd linux' and 'cat ../loop-hvr-a.b.c.patch | patch -p1'

The thing built. I shall have to install it before I go a-travelling
again, so I'll let folks know what happens. I hope it doesn't include
"I decided to change the password and now I can't get at anything".
:)

Telsa