[Courses] Clarification re: vi/vim

Jillian-Beth Stamos-Kaschke jillian at team.inter.net
Tue Mar 19 14:26:30 EST 2002

Hi there,

not wanting to nit-pick or take this thread entirely off-topic or
anything, but vim is *not* a vi tutorial. Vim is an editor in its
own right (and with numerous own Web pages, http://www.vim.org or
http://vim.sourceforge.net) that happens to come with a tutorial.

According to
http://www.lisa.univ-paris12.fr/linux/emacs_basic.htm ,
Emacs has a tutorial too, which is invoked by issuing the command
"C-h C-t". I'm sure it has syntax highlighting (it has all manner
of things built in), but I have no idea whether that can be turned
on or off by a simple command or by entering the appropriate Emacs
mode to the language you're using (which would be Tcl in this case).

HTH,

Jillian.