[Courses] [Security] Raw sockets (was: netstat status field)

coldfire rolick571 at duq.edu
Mon Mar 11 15:48:25 EST 2002

> Quoth Malcolm-Rannirl Windtree (Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 02:13:44PM -0500):
> > As I understood it, you could still create and send raw packets from
> > windows using userspace tools, you just had to implement the whole
> > section of the stack yourself.
>
> I hadn't heard this, but it would be interesting it were
> true, since that would pretty much shoot holes in the complaints of the
> XP-raw-socket-dislikers.

it was always possible before windows XP for windows users to utilize raw
sockets ... but third party software/drivers had to be installed.  i never
used em, so i can't speak much of em .. just that it was possible :)  it
wasn't a big deal with DDOS, however, because not a lot of people had the
necessary stuff installed.

coldie