[Courses] [Security] Raw sockets (was: netstat status field)

Raven, corporate courtesan raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Mon Mar 11 15:53:58 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Malcolm-Rannirl Windtree (Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 02:13:44PM -0500):
> As I understood it, you could still create and send raw packets from
> windows using userspace tools, you just had to implement the whole
> section of the stack yourself.

	I don't know; I'm not a Windows programmer at all.  (It's been
nearly two years or so since I used a Windows workstation on anything
resembling a regular basis, and longer since I did any Windows
sysadmin.)  I hadn't heard this, but it would be interesting it were
true, since that would pretty much shoot holes in the complaints of the
XP-raw-socket-dislikers.  Do you (or anyone else) know how this would be
done under Windows sans raw sockets, in such a way that you could
explain it to non-Windows-programmers?

Cheers,
Raven

"Sed, sed, awk.  Like duck, duck, goose.  Sync, sync, halt.  It's the
 order of nature."
  -- me, after too long a day at work