[Courses] Security Course

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Wed Mar 6 13:00:23 EST 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 12:44:58PM -0000, Mini Mathur a.k.a Leonux wrote:

> Hi
>

>   I would like the book format for the course.
>   That way newbies like me (I have worked for quite some time
> with linux, but no experience in Security :( ) would atleast
> understand whats going on and be able to learn a lot.
>    Are there other security newbies on the list ?

De-lurking :-) I'm interested in the security course as well.
If you do decide to use a "book", we serve the following documents on
security:

Bridge + Firewall + DSL Mini-HOWTO
Encrypted Tunnels using SSH and MindTerm HOWTO
Firewall Piercing mini-HOWTO
Firewall and Proxy Server HOWTO
Linux Bridge+Firewall Mini-HOWTO version 1.2.0
Linux Security HOWTO
Linux Shadow Password HOWTO
Loopback Encrypted Filesystem HOWTO
SSL Certificates HOWTO
Secure POP via SSH mini-HOWTO
Security Quick-Start HOWTO for Linux
Setting Up Your New Domain Mini-HOWTO
Snort Setup for Statistics HOWTO
The Loopback Root Filesystem HOWTO
User Authentication HOWTO
Using Term to Pierce an Internet Firewall

Please feel free to use any of them. They're all available without
cost to everybody taking the course.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
Lead Developer                             http://www.linuxdoc.org

Take away their operating system monopoly and Microsoft is a bunch of
clueless thugs without an original idea in their heads. The 'real story' is
how they do so little with so much and the relentlessly negative impact
they've had on personal computing. While Bill-ionaire Gates was building a
monument to his overblown ego, Jim Clark - for 10% of what Gates spent on
his house! - turned the Internet into the hottest thing in computing. Gates
and company slept through that one and the notion that they are particularly
smart or plugged in is patently absurd.
	--Review of The Microsoft Way written by an Amazon.com customer