[Courses] chapter nine: Running A Business- Business Plan and Focus

Sophie sophie at cats.meow.at
Fri Aug 30 03:06:28 EST 2002

On Wed, Aug/28/02 07:34:29PM -0700, Carla Schroder wrote:

> I've been rather slack about giving homework. Here is homework: write
> yourself a business plan. Anyone who wants to share theirs, welcome.

Right then.

I'm a student, currently in my second year of my degree. Right now, my plans are mostly focusing on learning. I have alot of learning to do, and I enjoy it amazingly. I've been devouring books on various subjects whichprovide a background to the fields that I wish to move into.

I belive I'm nearing the end of another chunk of life, meaning that I'm sorting out a few things and closing a couple of chapters before I move onto the next stage. Being only 21, these are somewhat personal, but my point is positive, in that for the first time in a while, I feel that I am well and truly ontop of things.

fyi, the company I wish to start will be designing a hardware product. I realise that this is not the easiest place to start, but, this is my dream.

So, my outline is something like this:

* Finish the larger of my numerous projects, and sketch out ideas before returning to university. Get things out of the way which would draw my attention when it is required elsewhere.

* Switch all focus to my degree. Decide which idea is suitable for a final project, and implement it. Bring it to the attention of revelant companies and seek sponsorship.

* Acquire a postgraduate position in a relevant place, and use it to expand my skills and experience.

* Focus on developing my major product idea: seek advice as to how it's design process breaks down and maps onto working relations with people.

* Seek funding.

* Break off from postgraduate job and found own enterprise. Employ people for relevant positions (including management!), organise contracts for outsourcing specific work and fabrication.

* Develop product, building up to the final design, possibly releasing smaller (less revolutianr) products as waypoints.

I am not exactly sure of timescales.

Carla, Thank you for the excellent (and somewhat inspirational course)

- sophie