[Courses] [Security] Firewall Types

Katie Bechtold katie at katie-and-rob.org
Wed Apr 10 11:32:04 EST 2002

Hi!  I have a big favor to ask those of you who have a clue about
firewalls and have a little spare time (as if such people exist!).
Anyway, I'm in a class entitled Enterprise Security and Privacy, and
our end-of-semester group project is to give a presentation on some
security subject.  My group is doing personal firewalls, and my part
of the presentation is to talk about the types of firewalls.  I
found out pretty quickly that each place I looked had a different
way of classifying firewalls, but I eventually decided it seemed to
make sense to classify them into two groups: Packet Filters and
Proxies.  The audience for this presentation is someone who is
knowledgeable about computers (say, with a B.S. in computer science)
but who knows little to nothing about network security.

My current draft of my slides is at:
	http://katie-and-rob.org/fw/Firewall_Types.htm
(I apologize for these web pages being exported from Microsoft
PowerPoint.)

So, if you care to, please give the slides a quick look-see and tell
me if there's anything obviously wrong so far.

Also, our group was trying to come up with some examples of Packet
Filter firewalls and some examples of Proxy firewalls.  I can come
up with ipchains and iptables as Packet Filter firewalls (nevermind
that only one or two people in the class will recognize those Linux
terms), but I'm stumped otherwise.  Any examples of one of these
pure firewalls types?  A big part of our presentation is a
demonstration of ZoneAlarm, too, which I've never worked with; I've
read some about it, but I couldn't determine which type of firewall
it is.

--
Katie Bechtold
http://www.katie-and-rob.org/katie/