[Actionchix] State of the new website

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Mon Jun 26 16:43:46 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 10:51 -0700, jennyw wrote:

> About Chris and Amy's docs ... The IA doc looks like a great start to
> me. I think I'd suggest having the RSS aggregator (Planet) appear more
> prominently than under the chix. Maybe having it's own tab
I was also thinking of News as an RSS feed, so an RSS button in that
column or in the footer would be a good idea.

> Likewise, it
> would be great to have live.linuxchix.org use the same look. I'd like to
> see it stay at live.linuxchix.org, though, as opposed to being under
> www. If that's too many tabs, I think it would be okay to have chapters
> and mailing lists under a section called "Join", since that's what
> people will probably be interested in doing by going to either.
"Join" is a better label than "subscribe" - regarding the navigation, I
tend to think of 5 as an ideal number, so I'd like to see the number of
navigational elements reduced (our comp has 7)

There's old research that suggests user interfaces shouldn't present
more than 7+/-2 choices to a user. While some argue that research was
misinterpreted (including the author), it's become an heuristic for
website navigation.[1]

>   I'd
> also suggest that mailing list archives appear as links with the list
> descriptions, instead of having an archives section.
that makes sense

> I'd suggest maybe even trying to move the logo
> to the right side, keeping as much content on the left side of the page
> as possible
I'll move things around on the comp so you can see what it looks like.

Thanks!
-chris

[1]
http://www.edwardtufte.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=0000U6&topic_id=1