[Actionchix] State of the new website

chris lists at semioticpixels.com
Mon Jun 26 05:49:35 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 10:10 -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> One question: I'm not sure what "Women
> Developing Open Source" and "For Employers" are in Resources (if
> they're on the current site, I can't find them)
We used our proposed sitemap in the design comps.

The idea is to provide navigation to the different audiences. So, I was
guessing the following audiences based on the content of the current
site:
researchers
the press
employers
existing community members
potential community members

It seemed to me that researchers, press, and employers need to
accomplish specific tasks and probably don't have a lot of time to hunt
around on the site for the information they're looking for.

On the current site, "For the Press" and "For Researchers" are in the
sidenav on the live site's home page. The content that would go on a
"for employers" page is currently found by following the "mailing lists"
link on the homepage and then clicking the "jobposts list"

> but I wondered if
> they might belong better in "The Chix".
I think of "The Chix" as referring specifically to community members,
like the Meet the Chix and Live Feeds, Chix at conferences, and
linuxchix authors.

> Looking at the "Redesign Comps" PDFs again, I find myself wondering:
> why does it have both a left and a right sidebar, with the left
> sidebar doing nothing except showing the penguin? Why not put the
> navigation in the left sidebar under the penguin, as is pretty much
> the standard on the web?  Right now all that white space under the
> penguin is wasted, when it could be doing something useful.
I agree

I'm not sure what the Subscribe! button under the penguin is for.
> If I clicked on it, what would it do?
Go to a page that provides an overview of the lists to subscribe to.

Thanks!
Chris