[Actionchix] Delay in decision making

Mary Gardiner mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Thu Jul 6 22:59:34 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006, jennyw wrote:
> Is Dancer the only one to be involved in setting up software on the new
> server? I did setup Plone for testing for us and I wrote up some notes
> on the install.  Gloria has a bunch of experience with Zope, also. I'm
> not saying that one of should do it instead of Dancer, but to let you
> know that other resources are available for this sort of thing; it's
> sometimes hard to figure out how to offer to help (for example, there
> was very little feedback on the initial Plone install and many other
> things that have been done so far).

Well, this decision is up to Dancer, because as far as I know he is the
one with the relevant passwords. I do not even have an account on the
relevant machine (confidential to Dancer: I still want one though,
because I still want to move live.linuxchix.org).

Dancer: Can you let us kow the answers to the following:

 1. Who currently has Sysadmin Power?

 2. What are the criteria for getting Sysadmin Power?

 3. Are you in particular willing to implement the suggest of doing the
    Plone install in a shared screen session as per jennyw's mail? (I wasn't
    clear on whether that would mean one person typing while others
    watch, or people taking turns to type.)

> By the way, on the subject of installing Plone, I noticed that the HTTP
> headers for the current site indicate that we're running ZServer
> directly. These headers might not reflect reality, of course, but if
> they are I'd suggest installing Apache or something else in front of
> ZServer. I've heard that ZServer has some issues handling malformed HTTP
> requests (like susceptibility to DOS attacks)[1]. Also, using a proxy
> would make it easier to integrate other systems.

I believe it's actually Apache reverse proxying, see my transcripts below of
asking it for different hostnames. Experience with Apache and reverse proxying
on my own machine tells me that among the HTTP headers proxied is the Server
one.

$ telnet linuxchix.org 80
Trying 140.211.166.107...
Connected to linuxchix.org.