[Actionchix] LinuxChix as a legal entity

jennyw jennyw at dangerousideas.com
Fri Apr 7 02:14:14 EST 2006

Sorry, didn't finish the e-mail before sending save. And I just read
Dancer's e-mail. I agree -- I think the easiest thing would be to
incorporate as a regular company (at least that's the way it'd be in the
U.S.; might be different in Australia). Incorporation as a for-profit
wouldn't give donors a tax write-off, but it'd be fast and corporations
(again, at least in the U.S.) provide a legal shield for the shareholders.

If we want non-profit status, I'd be happy to talk to some of the
non-profit orgs I work with to ask for advice and also find out about
the possibilities of fiscal sponsorship (often a first step in getting
started). I believe OSDL is interested in doing something like this for
organizations, and there are other orgs like the Tides Foundation that
specialize in this.  If nothing else, other orgs may have suggestions on
achieving non-profit status.

Jen