[Techtalk] stuck setting up vpn

mgmonza at sverige.sdf.org mgmonza at sverige.sdf.org
Thu Mar 24 13:22:20 UTC 2022

Hello, all,

Even though this list hasn't been active in a while, I thought I'd give
this a shot just in case anyone might be able to help.

I just registered for a vpn but can't get it to connect.  It may be that
this just doens't work server-side:  it's a volunteer, very old linux
organization with somewhat spotty support.  If not, I was hoping someone
on this list could see something I'm missing.

I followed their directions to do these steps:

- created theirpptp file in /etc/ppp/peers

- edited the /etc/ppp/chap-secrets file to add their vpn address and my
password that had been generated by the setup process on the server side

- added a route to the vpn using 'route add'

in sheer desperation, added this from a redhat specific page:
- modprobe nf_conntrack_pptp

but when I tried the next step:

sudo pppd call theirpptp

the connection closed immediately

pinging and traceroute to their vpn work fine.

I'm on a redhat/CentOS platform with selinux and tried this with
setenforce on and off.  No difference.

varions system error messages are:

The synchronous pptp option is NOT activated
warn[open_inetsock:pppt_callmgr.c:329]: connect:  Connection refused

fatal[callmgr_main:pptp_callmg.c:127]: Could not open control conection to
xxx.xxx.xx.x

One other question:  where should the .ovpn file be saved so that it can
be found by the programs that need it?

MG