[Techtalk] Listing differences between directory trees/contents

Alison Chaiken alison at exerciseforthereader.org
Sun Apr 17 21:40:25 UTC 2022

David Sumbler asked:
> I want to have a listing of the 2 directory trees, including file
> sizes, so that I can find the differences and correct things.  (A full
> 'ls -R' listing is over 3000 lines - there are a lot of files!).  With
> suitable listings I could perhaps use 'diff' to find the errors on the
> SD card, or import both listings to a spreadsheet which might be more
> flexible.

ACCU's _CVu_ journal sponsored a code competition to solve exactly that
problem in May 2020.   The solutions are found at
https://accu.org/journals/cvu/32/2/cvu32-2.pdf#Page=16 but you must be
an ACCU member to access the content.   The solutions would have been
better had they employed "man 3 ftw", but of course I was too lazy to
write one myself.

Best wishes,
Alison Chaiken

Alison Chaiken			alison at exerciseforthereader.org
"If we would have the prisons empty, we must make the homes more
attractive." -- Elizabeth Keckley, 1892