[Techtalk] stuck setting up vpn

mgmonza at iceland.freeshell.org mgmonza at iceland.freeshell.org
Fri Apr 1 22:57:13 UTC 2022

On Wed, 30 Mar 2022, SH via Techtalk wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for replying.

It's just timidity on my part at this point: the host system is an antique
unix setup that evolved out of a bboard in the 1980s, run by a cranky nerd
initially and a mysterious group of almost as reticent more recent nerds.
It has almost no official tech support.  Sporadic help is provided by
other users, but most were or are currently employed in fairly advanced
tech jobs and can be as adverse to simple how-to questions.  The system's
unofficial motto (and my terminal session's title) is "We're not some f**g
hipster curiosity" - a quote from the cranky nerd.

For most things, support wasn't a problem but I've been out of current
technology long enough that I've become shy about taking on anything I
haven't done before.  OpenVPN is one of them.  I had no problem setting up
PPTP vpn at my last tech job twelve years ago, but with this system there
are too many unknowns and no way to resolve them.

Your reply is another nudge in the 'just go ahead and jump into OpenVPN'
direction. After all, one upside of retirement is being able to dedicate
as much time as I want to solving anything. (The downside is being out of
an environment where this stuff was just part of the background).

MG