[Techtalk] Mail handling & filtering

Conor Daly c.daly at met.ie
Wed Sep 29 07:42:09 UTC 2021

If you are running a server 24/7, why not direct the reports to that instead
of gmail?  Then filter through procmail and send required reports on to
gmail.

Of course, this requries your server to have a spam-proof mail server
running...

Conor

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 05:37:44PM -0500 or thereabouts, Terry M. Roy via Techtalk wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a couple of Gmail accounts that receive mail containing various
> reports (not as attachments, just text). 99.9% of the information in the
> messages doesn't need inspection. It's the .1% that I am looking to find as
> it usually requires immediate attention.
>
> I'd like a way to process those emails independently of the mail client I'm
> using since I am often out and reviewing them via iPhone.
>
> What I envision: Gmail is accessed through IMAP, the messages are filtered,
> appropriate ones are discarded and mail is synced back via IMAP to Gmail to
> remove the discarded messages so it will update my phone & tablet.
>
> I currently have a Debian server I can set this up on that's on 24/7.
>
> I've looked at mbsync for accessing the messages and procmail for filtering
> but am not sure if mbsync can be used with procmail. Everything I've found
> on mbsync and procmail also includes a mail client like mutt. I have no
> problem installing mutt but I don't want to have to log into the server,
> start mutt, etc, to have the messages filtered.
>
> Any pointers/directions to head in/software recommendations are greatly
> appreciated. TYIA
>

> --
> Terry

Conor Daly (Meteorologist),
Met Eireann, Glasnevin Hill,
Dublin 9, Ireland
Ph +3531 8064261

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the addressee. If you have received this email in error please notify the sender.

This e-mail message has also been scanned for the presence of computer viruses.

Ta an riomhphost seo, agus aon chomhad ata nasctha leis, faoi run agus is don te a seoladh chuige amhain e. Ma tharla go bhfuair tu an riomhphost seo tri dhearmad cuir in iul don te a sheol e led' thoil.

Ta an teachtaireacht riomhphoist seo scuabtha le bogearrai frithvireas.