[Techtalk] Mail handling & filtering

Terry M. Roy tech at futurecourse.com
Mon Sep 27 22:37:44 UTC 2021

Hi folks,

I have a couple of Gmail accounts that receive mail containing various
reports (not as attachments, just text). 99.9% of the information in the
messages doesn't need inspection. It's the .1% that I am looking to find
as it usually requires immediate attention.

I'd like a way to process those emails independently of the mail client
I'm using since I am often out and reviewing them via iPhone.

What I envision: Gmail is accessed through IMAP, the messages are
filtered, appropriate ones are discarded and mail is synced back via
IMAP to Gmail to remove the discarded messages so it will update my
phone & tablet.

I currently have a Debian server I can set this up on that's on 24/7.

I've looked at mbsync for accessing the messages and procmail for
filtering but am not sure if mbsync can be used with procmail.
Everything I've found on mbsync and procmail also includes a mail client
like mutt. I have no problem installing mutt but I don't want to have to
log into the server, start mutt, etc, to have the messages filtered.

Any pointers/directions to head in/software recommendations are greatly
appreciated. TYIA

--
Terry