[Techtalk] seeking backup solution recommendations

Meryll Larkin mll at alwanza.com
Tue Feb 9 04:55:37 UTC 2021

Hi Little Girl,

Whoops!  You are correct.  I did receive a response from you!  You wrote
about GRsync and I forgot about it because you mentioned "dry run button".

I'm working with the Linux command line and I SHOULD have asked - what
happens with GRSync if I don't have access to "GUI"?

Yes, I know  how to do ssh X forwarding, the problem is that the connection
is so slow... screen redraw takes forever and it always feels like it is
about to freeze or drop.    If there is a command line menu or command line
options, that would be better for me.   I guess I can research that, too.

I have used (regular) rsync for backups for years, and it is the solution I
use in my own home - I created an rsync script that runs weekly with cron.

My experience with (regular) rsync and the tapes that I am using is that tar
with the right BlockSize and blocking-factor tends to be faster.
Faster is important when the issue is input to a single tape of a repository
with 25T of data.

Still good to hear of another option though.  Someone will probably benefit
from your information.

Thank you,
Meryll Larkin