[Techtalk] This is how I got larger console and bootup fonts in Debian 10

mgmonza at iceland.freeshell.org mgmonza at iceland.freeshell.org
Sun Dec 5 22:46:12 UTC 2021

The question of how to enlarge console fonts seems to come up
periodically, so I hope this helps someone.  This is in Debian 10
(systemd) on a cranky Lenovo T500.

I wanted to be able to read the output from grub more easily as the system
booted. I also wanted to be able to set the defaults for the tty consoles
without having to invoke 'setfont' from each console - being somewhat OCD,
I found the delay between login and the bash profile invoking 'setfont'
annoying.

I did the following to get huge fonts on startup:
to find out what fonts are available for this particular machine, I typed
'c' in the menu at bootup, then at the grub prompt, typed:
videoinfo

to stop the screen from scrolling to the end, I ran:
set pager=1

After bootup, I changed /etc/default/grub so that this line now reads:
GRUB_GFXMODE=800x600x32
using one of the choices from videoinfo, then ran update-grub.

To set the console fonts for tty1-tty6, I changed these lines in
/etc/default/console-setup to this:
CODESET="Lat15" ["guess" didn't work]
FONTFACE="TerminusBold"
FONTSIZE="32x16"
and left everything else the same.

The parameters came from the font name in /usr/share/consolefonts I wanted
to use, Lat15-TerminusBold32x16.psf.gz

'setupcon' will set fonts back to these if they get reset.  I'd forgotten
to remove setfont from my root bash profile and found this useful until I
found and fixed that.

Most of the information I used came
from this page: https://www.datafix.com.au/BASHing/2020-02-19.html