[Techtalk] Very basic tty question

mgmonza at iceland.freeshell.org mgmonza at iceland.freeshell.org
Mon Oct 21 05:31:30 UTC 2019

Okay,

This should be on newchix or something like that...

It's been a while since I used the tty terminals as my primay input to
*nix, but I'm finding them an irreplaceable backup when the x server hangs
up for any reason.

The problem is that not only has my eyesight aged so that setting large
fonts is an automatic response when viewing web pages, my notes on setting
tty fonts are buried in some backup file from over ten years ago, or in
the hard drive that was recently stolen from my storage in Washington
State.

I seem to remember that setting the basic tty font size was a subset of
the stty command and used columns and rows but can't find anything on this
in all the extraneous pages returned from startpage or google.

This is for Redhat 6, so not a systemd system. I found the inimitable
Carla's page on this, but she skipped gleefully over pre-systemd in
Redhat/CentOS/etc.

Thanks, all.

MG