[Techtalk] anyone know of a simple text viewer?

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sat Jul 20 11:38:45 UTC 2019

Thanks A. Mani.

I currently do use Calibre for a few things. I haven't heard of it being
used for quickly viewing text files. I often use Calibre to edit the
metadata for epub ebooks -- perhaps that's what you're referring to.

I agree that a fuzzy/vague search done from the shell could be useful,
though I wasn't sure how that related to viewing text files until I
looked at a description of a fuzzy file search program named "pick".
I'll learn more about it and see if that can do what I want.

I didn't know about "BasKet Note Pads". It looks very interesting. I'll
try that, though I have to say, it sounds a bit like a kind of database
program. I've seen a few writers' tools intended to help organise notes.
They usually keep all the data in one file, whereas I need to be able
view large numbers of separate files that can't be merged... well, the
writing ideas text files could, but other files, for example video
description text files, can't.

Thanks for the suggestions.

     - Miriam

--
The only person that you should try to be better than is the person you were yesterday.
  -- Ain Eineziz