[Techtalk] Questions About Virtualisation Workflow

Maria Sund maria at tietonoita.fi
Thu Apr 4 07:59:13 UTC 2019

ke, 2019-04-03 kello 23:20 +0100, Miss Casey Marie Earnshaw kirjoitti:
> Hi everyone
>
> Thanks for taking the time to read my email.
>
> My question is regarding virtual machines and setting up a base
> operating system for them.

> I am thinking that I would at least like to try this idea out and it
> might be a case of throwing tech at the wall and seeing what sticks,
> my
> idea is to install lubuntu or mint xfce as the base operating system
> try and keep the system needs low. (I'm considering even trying to
> use
> something like a window manager to make it even lower but maybe that
> will come later, this is quite a big project already before deciding
> do away with the mouse!). Hopefully this works out and I can stick
> with
> Linux forever. I'm mostly wondering if anyone has tried something
> like
> this before and if there is anything you could tell me that you wish
> you
> knew when you were at my stage.
>
> Thanks again for reading and I hope your week goes great! The system
> specs for the curious are: Intel Core i5 4460 3.2GHz, 8GB RAM, 2TB
> HDD,
> AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB
>
> Casey x

Hello, and welcome aboard. Installing and setting up for example
VirtualBox is not very hard and it really helps if and when need to run
an alternative os when needed and running it rather safe. In my
previous and current job and family we have done this long time. It
saves a lot of time and effort. Modern hardware can do this task well.
VirtualBox and others too can run other OS like an application window
and share the clipboard, media and folders with your main OS if you
need. There is no need to have any specific partition for VirtualBox
and guest OS. Just enough space for the guest OS and from the
VirtialBox manager you set what folder you want to mount/map.
Linux Mint or Ubuntu is very fine distribution. What is the best
desktop? Xfce or LXDE can be good choise. Luckily i have access to
Windows 7 installation media. 7 is a less heavy platform than 10.

@@Maria