[Techtalk] {SPAM 05.1} Re: Problem with tunneling SSH

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Thu Jul 12 09:02:47 UTC 2018

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your messages; I was away
cycling in Scotland until yesterday.

Margaret is 91 years old, and is in a care home.  I think that they
changed their internet setup a few months ago - new router etc. - and
it may be that this has caused the difference in behaviour when I try
to log into Margaret's computer.  I suspect that if I were to ask them
to open a particular port etc. it is quite possible that they wouldn't
know what I was talking about; there might also be difficulties trying
to prove that I am a bona fide friend of Margaret's and not somebody
trying to undermine the care home's internet security.

The suggestion that I might set up a tunnel from her computer to mine
hadn't occurred to me, for some reason.  The next time I can reach her
computer using Teamviewer I could open a Gnome terminal window and try
this.  What would be ideal would be if I could then set things up so
that the route is set up every time her computer is started.  Is this
possible?  Ideally I should like to be able to connect to her computer
without having to use TeamViewer first.

Regarding the version of Ubuntu that she uses, I am afraid that it is
v.12.04.  Support for this LTS version ended last year, but I really
think that any attempt to move to a more recent version would probably
finish Margaret's days of using the computer for good.  She is very
confused these days, and certainly not up to learning how to do things
if the smallest detail is changed.

We have not found any recent difficulty using Google for our web-
chatting.  I last heard from Margaret on Monday (3 days ago) while I
was still cycling in the Highlands.  One of the advantages of using
Google is that everything comes up in Hangouts on my phone and/or
tablet, so I can still have the odd conversation with Margaret even
when I am away from home.  At her end, of course, she is using Pidgin
exactly as she always has.

Thanks, both, for your help.

David