[Techtalk] Basic Q, can't find answers elsewhere

mgmonza at iceland.freeshell.org mgmonza at iceland.freeshell.org
Tue Jul 4 23:58:31 UTC 2017

Thanks, Sonja and everyone!

This came closest to the solution, or lack thereof.

It seems I have stumbled into the dreaded systemd without being aware of
it.  That's the answer I needed most, because it let me know that nothing
I knew before was going to work as expected now, especially system-wise.

The overall solution is to put in the kind of time to understand systemd
that it took to at least get going on Linux when switching from Unix, or
to Debian from Redhat (or, for that matter, from TSO/ISPF to Unix - but in
that case I was supermotived by being stranded on a horrible low-bid
system called Prime and surrounded by guys who expected me to fail)

This is what I've come up with and where I'm stopping for now:

/etc/rc.local editing will allow me to down the interface as soon as it
comes up, by simply inserting "sudo ifdown wla0" at the end. This is
at least before the dm is loaded and what I'm going with for now.

The most promising solution, creating a manual override file for
network-manager and networking in /etc/init, did nothing.  However, I got
Bluetooth, another pesky autostart (this laptop doesn't have it) disabled
before it started this way.

Trying the above on every process with the name networking caused one of
those system-disabling goofs that started a long but ultimately successful
session to restore boot-up, using a specific Ubuntu grub boot menu.lst to
bring up a restore Mint session.

I appreciate everyone's answers.  Even the ones that didn't apply directly
pointed me to something I learned about the problem.

One other question, if I may ask. No one here seems to use Linux systemd
or Mint as often as Ubuntu was used when it was one of the best choices.
Can ask I as what OS's people -are- using now?  I do have SciLinux (RHEL)
as another option, but have gotten lazy about relearning the ins and outs
of a different Linux system and just use that for minor specific tasks.

Thanks again for the help!

Kathleen